Humanities Honors-Summer 2017
Honors Summer Assignment: Due Wednesday, August 2nd, 2017
This summer, instead of choosing a book for you, Ms. Ferguson and Mrs. O'Brien have decided to let you choose the book you’d like to read from our list of 10 Books That Will Change Your Life! We’ve taken books from several lists of inspiring memoirs and biographies for you to choose from and created this comprehensive list below:
1. I Am Malala by Malala Yousafzai
2. Long Walk to Freedom by Nelson Mandela
3. The Promise of a Pencil by Adam Braun
4. Ashley’s War by Gayle Tzemach Lemmon
5. Kisses From Katie by Katie Davis
6. Tattoos on the Heart by Gregory Boyle
7. Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson
8. Half the Sky by Nicholas D. Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn
9. The Legacy of Luna by Julia Hill
10. Irena's Children: The Extraordinary Story of the Woman Who Saved 2,500
Children from the Warsaw Ghetto by Tilar J. Mazzeo
Choose one book from the list (although you are certainly welcome to read more!) and read it over the summer. This summer there are no discussion questions to respond to - your assignment is simply to read an enjoyable book from the list.
If you’ve already read a book or so from the above list, then CHOOSE ONE YOU HAVE NOT YET READ.
Have a great summer! Relax, enjoy reading this book on a plane, under a tree, on the beach, in your grandma’s kitchen - wherever it feels good to immerse yourself in the magic of a book. But most importantly, have fun with it!
Bring the book with you to our first honors meeting on Wednesday, August 2nd. Be ready to discuss your book in a group and create a group project!
Click below for the Honors Contract