Metro Arts Mask Policy 20/21
METROPOLITAN ARTS INSTITUTE
COVID-19 STUDENT FACE COVERING POLICY
As required by Executive Order 2020-51, METROPOLITAN ARTS INSTITUTE
(the “School”) is implementing this COVID-19 Student Face Covering Policy to help protect our students, our staff, and our school community. This policy applies to all students enrolled at the School.
When Face Coverings Are Required
The School requires all students to wear face coverings that comply with this policy and the School’s dress code standards whenever a student is on school grounds, in school-provided transportation or attending a school sponsored event, whether inside or outside.
Subject to and in accordance with public health guidance, the School will not require students to wear face coverings under the following limited circumstances:
- When the student is eating or drinking;
- When the School determines, in its sole discretion, that students can socially distance – i.e., sustainably maintain at least 6 feet of separation from other students or staff;*
- When students are outdoors and able to socially distance;
- During breaks intended for students to remove their masks in a safe environment;
- If the student has a documented medical or behavioral condition or disability that makes them unable to wear a face covering (e.g., has trouble breathing, severe respiratory impairments, sensory concerns or tactile sensitivity, or is unable to remove the face covering without assistance); or
- If the student is unconscious, incapacitated, or otherwise unable to remove the mask without assistance.
The Head of School may consider additional exceptions to this policy; provided, however, that such an exception must comply with applicable public health guidance.
*Given the serious health and safety risks associated with the rapid transmission of COVID-19, the School may, in its sole discretion, require students to wear a face covering even if social distancing is possible.
Acceptable Face Coverings
A face covering is acceptable only if it meets current public health guidance and:
- Completely covers the nose and mouth;
- Fits snugly but comfortably against the side of the face;
- Is secured with ties, ear loops, or another reliable method;
- Are made to sufficiently block respiratory droplets from permeating the face covering; and
- Allows the user to breathe without restriction.
Students may not use any face covering that incorporates a one-way valve that is designed to facilitate easy exhaling
Face Shields: Although not required, the School will allow students to wear face shields in addition to face masks. Wearing a face shield without wearing a mask is not permitted unless approved by the Head of School; provided, however, if a face shield is used without a mask, the face shield must wrap around the sides of the wearer’s face and extend to below the chin.
Provision of Face Coverings
Students are expected to bring their own face coverings to School that comply with the requirements set forth above; however, the School will provide students with a disposable face covering if they forget theirs or are otherwise unable to procure a face covering of their own.
Adaptations and Alternatives
In accordance with public health guidance, as well as applicable disability laws and guidance, the Head of School will consider adaptations and alternatives to a student being required to wear a face covering, including for specialty classes and for students with disabilities.
Enforcement and Non-Retaliation
Failure to comply with this policy may result in disciplinary action in accordance with the School’s disciplinary policies and procedures.
The School will not tolerate any bullying, harassment, or discrimination arising from or related to students wearing a face covering.
Policy Subject to Change
The School may modify or rescind this policy at any time, in its sole discretion, and without advanced notice in order to adapt to changing public health guidance, legal obligations, and operational needs.
If any part of this policy conflicts with applicable local, county, state law, regulation, or public health guidance, the School will comply with the applicable law, regulation, or public health guidance.